This calculator is based on the average LDL-C reduction achieved in trials with a given therapy and therefore shows average back calculated LDL-C levels.
Statins: based on the mean LDL-C reduction per statin and dose described in1
Ezetimibe: based on the mean LDL-C reduction in the ENHANCE2 and IMPROVE-IT3 trials (20.2%)
PCSK9 inhibition: based on the mean LDL-C in the FOURIER4 and ODDYSEY5 trials (53.2%).
* The results of back calculation of LDL-C levels can be inflated by hyporesponse or non-adherence to therapy by the patients. Therefore, the calculator automatically gives an error when the calculated LDL-C exceeds 10 mmol/L. Levels this high are only seen in severely affected (homozygous) familial hypercholesterolemia patients.
1. Besseling, J. et al. Atherosclerosis 233, 219–223 (2014)
2. Kastelein, J. J. P. et al. N. Engl. J. Med. 358, 1431–1443 (2008)
3. Cannon, C. P. et al. N. Engl. J. Med. 372, 2387–2397 (2015)
4. Sabatine, M. S. et al. N. Engl. J. Med. 1713–1722 (2017)
5. Schwartz, G. G. et al. N. Engl. J. Med. NEJMoa1801174 (2018)